Starting date: Immediate, one year contract (renewal to be considered)
Application deadline: Open until filled
Central European University is seeking a seasoned Senior Project and Technical Lead to manage the introduction of an ERP software: a student information system (Tribal, SITS Vision) replacing two legacy systems and integrating with active additional systems (e.g. SAP, Nexon, and Moodle). This is a significant transformation project for CEU, having previously managed all database services externally. The project is currently underway, and now requires a senior-level manager to oversee the technical support required and liaise with stakeholders.
In coordination with overseeing the project itself, the Senior Project and Technical Lead would be expected to work closely with the Director of IT and the Vice President for Administration in aligning IT services support to not only support the implementation of the project but also the long term management of the new system and data management at the University.
The Senior Project and Technical Lead would be responsible for the overall project:
1. Overseeing project management:
- Ensuring that the project meets the requirements within identified timescale, cost and defined quality standards and to stakeholder satisfaction
- Overseeing management of the project team (currently, consisting of a full-time project manager, two full-time database technical staff, and four part-time subject matter experts supporting project and daily work load)
- Overseeing management of the service provider (deliverables, financials, time allocation)
- Identifying and resolving, or escalating if not resolved, any risks or gaps in the project
2. Managing, and where needed providing hands-on on advice or support for, required internal technical support and linkage with service provider technical consultancy. In coordination with this liaising with IT Director on long-term database and data management resourcing.
- High-level oversight of solution designs for major project stages; development of technical project documentation; testing and release phase; migration and interfaces; plan business as usual processes and policies
3. Managing key stakeholders, including senior leadership, ensuring well-communicated plan for stakeholder engagement, training and feedback, as well as reporting on progress
Responsibilities and expectations:
- Refine and maintain project execution plan/charter, including approach, scope, tasks, duration, work effort, dependencies, budget, planning assumptions, risk profile, team structuring, staffing, resource allocation, and deliverable definition
- Manage allocation of IT resources to support the project, and in coordination with IT Director, any necessary redistribution of resources within IT unit
- Anticipate and resolve issues and risks
- Escalate unresolved issues to the appropriate leaderships (IT Director, Vice President for Administration, Provost, and President/Rector)
- Guide CEU communications on project with support from CEU communications team and, project sponsor, Vice President for Administration
- Measure project progress against agreed upon objectives and success criteria
- Perform financial oversight and analysis
- Ensure project compliance with CEU data protection and related standards and policies
- Technical coordination of database implementation process and transfer to business as usual
- Optimizing technical project workflows, develop related methodologies to set up for implementation and business as usual (in an environment without operational-methodological framework)
Desired skills and qualifications:
- Significant experience (5+ documented, on specified projects) leading large ERP implementation projects across multiple functions/disciplines, preferably in a higher education environment and ideally using Tribal software
- Evidence of the ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing and to influence and persuade at all levels of staff seniority, including proven leadership and influence skills including the ability to manage when there is no direct reporting relationship
- Knowledge or understanding of software development lifecycle principles and methodologies
- Strong results orientation
- Expertise in defining and improving processes
- Ability to make difficult decisions and to involve others sufficiently in the decision-making process
- Familiarity and experience with ITIL (ITIL Foundations)
- Experience in service/process review, design and engineering
- Familiarity with project management tools (preferably JIRA, Sharepoint, MS Project)
- Experience with SQL and/or Oracle database set-up and configuration on a project level
Primary working with:
Project Manager, Database Manager, legacy system database administrators, CEU IT and vendor personnel, VP for Administration, core project team and internal consultants for the project
We offer a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience as well as a dynamic and international academic environment. The initial contract is for 1 year with the possibility of renewal.
Central European University (CEU) is a graduate research-intensive university specializing in the social sciences and humanities, public policy and management. It is located in Budapest, and accredited in the United States and Hungary. CEU’s mission is to promote academic excellence, state-of-the-art research, and civic engagement, in order to contribute to the development of open societies in Central and Eastern Europe, the former Soviet Union, and other emerging democracies throughout the world. CEU offers both Master’s and doctoral programs, and enrolls more than 1400 students from 100 countries. The teaching staff consists of more than 180 resident faculty, from over 40 countries, and a large number of prominent visiting scholars from around the world.
The language of instruction is English.