Data and Systems SPECIALIST for Research Support
As soon as possible
April 1, 2017, opened until filled
Full Or Part Time:
Full time (40 hrs/week)
2 years (renewable)
Central European University (CEU) is seeking talented and highly motivated candidates for the position of Data and System Specialist. This is a new position at CEU and it is intended to play a key role in assisting and developing original research based on large-scale datasets and computational methods.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create, set-up and manage large databases containing research data.
- Support faculty members and students in using servers, large-scale datasets, and computation-heavy codes.
- Manage and upgrade servers used for research, with a focus on monitoring and improving their computing performance.
- Advise and assist in writing and optimizing code used in research.
- Ensure the interface between the CEU IT Department and faculty and students with regard to server performance and software/hardware needs for the purpose of undertaking research based on large-scale datasets and computational methods.
- Hold workshops and educational activities about data and server use for students, faculty and staff.
- Degree in computer science, software engineering, or related fields.
- Documented experience with administration of Unix servers used for research purposes (e.g. used to store large scale datasets and/or for high performance computing).
- Proven experience in setting up and maintaining small and big data databases and cluster computing frameworks (e.g. Oracle, MySQL, Hadoop, Neo4j, Spark, Hive).
- Proven experience of working with large-scale datasets, ability to improve the performance of codes and data structures.
- Excellent skills in coding with Python, R, awk (or another scripting languages).
Other qualifications, which are not required but will represent an advantage:
- Skills in coding with other languages or in web development
- Experience in setting up a cluster of servers (growing in time) for data research
- Experience in using and setting up cloud computing services, like Amazon EC2
We offer a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience as well as a dynamic and international academic environment.
CEU is an equal opportunity employer.
Central European University (CEU) is a graduate research-intensive university specializing in the social sciences and humanities, public policy and management. It is located in Budapest, and accredited in the United States and Hungary. CEU’s mission is to promote academic excellence, state-of-the-art research, and civic engagement, in order to contribute to the development of open societies in Central and Eastern Europe, the former Soviet Union, and other emerging democracies throughout the world. CEU offers both Master’s and doctoral programs, and enrolls more than 1400 students from 100 countries. The teaching staff consists of more than 180 resident faculty, from over 40 countries, and a large number of prominent visiting scholars from around the world.
The language of instruction is English.